Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Congressman Kimble Gives Up on Food Stamp Challenge


It is with great sorrow that I throw in the towel on the Food Stamp Challenge that I began only a few days ago with such trepidation.  I can tell you right now, it is an amazing feat to be able to feed oneself on a meager $31.50 a day.   What doomed me in the long run was a miscalculation on my part.  I went out to dinner with former Congressman Tom Ensign to discuss a new PAC he wishes to start advocating for candidates with a strong focus on Family Values.   Unfortunately, I mistakenly thought it was his turn to treat.   In reality, I got stuck with the bill for steaks and Maker's Mark Manhattans totaling $325 blowing my budget out of the water for the week.   The only way to have made it work, would have been to rely solely on my own kitchen for the rest of the week.

Part of me really hates giving up on this challenge because it gives the satisfaction of my quitting to all the unemployed and Walmart employees on food stamps.   While I could not live on $31.50 a day, surely if they cooked for themselves, and clipped coupons, and stuck to domestic wines, they could make it work.  Still, I am a good enough man to admit defeat.  During these 3 days, I learned a lot about hunger and about suffering in a way that I couldn't have from listening to a lobbyist describe a bill I was going to vote on.   I guess in that way, the experiment was a success. 

1 comment: